Re: RE: RE: RE: Way OT: Shuttle Columbia breaks up on re-entry

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 12:07:26 EST

<snip> Enterprise is just a non-working model. Maybe they can name
the next
working one that this time

The Enterprise was built for a specific purpose, approach and landing test.
It flew those missions well and proved what it set out to prove, that the
orbiter could fly in the atmosphere and land like an airplane, without a
propulsion system. It was built solely as a test vehicle and is not
equipped for space flight, however, it could be converted for operational
space flights. Challenger was pressed into service in this manner as it was
originally built as a test vehicle.

 It was originally supposed to be named Constitution in honor of the
Bicentennial of the Constitution. A write in campaign from fans of the TV
show Star Trek urging the White House change the name of the first orbiter
to Enterprise. It was rolled out of the Rockwell plant in Sept 1976 and
flew its missions from Feb thru Nov 77.

Following the Enterprise was Columbia in 1981, Challenger in 1982,
Discovery in 1983, Atlantis in 1985 and Endeavour, built as a replacement
for Challenger in 1991.

Currently, the Enterprise belongs to the Smithsonian Institution in
Washington DC. after being flown into Dulles Airport on 18 Nov 1985.

Personally, I don't believe we are going to see another space shuttle as we
know it in its current form be built. I believe that NASA and the
government will fund research and development of the next generation of
reusable space vehicle.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE