hesitation/stall

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 22:56:17 EST

I think Kevin had asked about ideas on stall/hesitation especially when
cold and when coming to stops with his truck. A couple of people
mentioned clogged cats, cracked heads, tps, etc.
  I have found in my experience at my shops that the idle speed control
motor is the first area I look. Most of the original design motors have
been superceded by Mopar, and even technical bulletins have been
released giving revised part numbers to replace suspect original units.
 You can remove your original idle motor with a torque bit, get the part
number off of it, and call the dealer or have someone look it up on
Alldata or Mitchell on demand to see if there is a tsb on it. The fact
that the problem improved a little when stuff got cleaned leans me
towards this.
  I try to concentrate on historical failures or a given vehicle before
I pursue unusual scenarios.
  Check it out and let us know.
Patrick