Re: Had a close call with a 4X4!

From: Mark (Mark1yourunderwear@teisprint.com)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 11:28:56 EST

If you get a roll-over like you were talking about, it actually wouldn't bee
too bad to do. Most of you guys/gals? are thinking of swapping at the wrong
point. Pull the Front clip, cab, and box off of the roll over, prep the
frame, engine, and suspension the way you want it. At this point, make,
borrow or rent some sort of large picker, like one that has two A-frame legs
on the side and a boom connecting them, and just unbolt/unplug the body from
yours and move it on to the donor frame and bolt and plug it back together.
Two people can do this in a day, with the hardest part being 1. aligning the
front fenders/hood to the cab. 2. sorting out the wiring if an engine change
is included. But even this shouldn't be a big deal if you have a whole donor
truck, just use the front harness from that and plug it into your cab
connections. This is just how the factory puts them together. They look at
the build sheet and pull the part they need off the rack and bolt it on.
I've done several cab-off rebuilds on Chevy trucks through the years,
swapping frames, engines, rears, you name it. Mark your parts clearly, keep
an organized area during the swap, and think about every part you need to
swap days in advance and write out a plan, like what part from what truck is
being used. It's a big job, but it's more than do-able.

Mark