RE: Lean at full throttle

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 07:03:53 EST

Jason, my '92 was running lean at the track but always went rich on the
street when floored from a roll. I changed the O2 sensor and MAP sensor to
cure the problem. Don't know for sure which sensor was the culprit.

Another thought....has it ever worked properly since you've been using the
14x4 K&N? If not, it's possible the underhood heat causes it to be lean
until you get up enough speed to have cooler air moving through the engine
compartment. The AIT sensor might also have something to do with this.
Try relocating to a cooler area to test.

FWIW...I've tried a 14x3 K&N at the track and it's always slowed me down by
a tenth of a second and one MPH. Nothing has worked as well as the stock
air cleaner with the hose to the radiator support, although I added a second
inlet to mine. (small improvement over single hose). The lack of cool air
to the open element K&N really saps the power.

RayB