Re: HELP ! I need opinions on this....

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 17:37:47 EST

Engelsman, Konnie wrote:

> Good Morning all,
>
> I could use your thoughts on a little situation I am having. My 8th
> Cylinder is misfiring. My personal mechanic took a look at this, and
> checked out all the simple reasons that might happen (spark plug, etc) and
> he feels it may be an injector or a fuel issue.

If you told the dealer this, they might be ticked that you didn't come
to them first, and give you a hard time.

> I called my dealer to schedule this to be repaired, as I still have a
> warranty, and the response I got was this:
>
> " That might be caused by carbon buildup in the valves. If that's the case,
> it wouldn't be covered. It depends on how well you maintain & what kind of
> gas you are using. To fix that it's a few hundred. "

That they are attempting to diagnose it over the phone is disconcerting
to me. They see an easy out here - you've brought them a perceived
diagnosis, and they'll gladly take care of it for you because it's not
under the warranty as you've described - "take your money? sure, we can
do that!"

Try another dealer. But do *not* tell them you've seen another mechanic
or that you've talked to another dealer. Take it in, tell them you seem
to be having some weird engine problems (only describe the symptoms -
check engine light, rough running, etc.), and let them come to their own
conclusion under your warranty.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@yahoo.com -------------------------------------------- modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness --------------------------------------------