Re: Re: Mopar Now Has Gel Cell Battery

From: Patrick Delgado (dadoctah@vitelcom.net)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 18:21:56 EST

optimas are absorbed glass mat. it still uses liquid electrolyte, but the
electrolyte is "trapped" by a fiberglass matting.In Gel cells the
electrolyte is like a jelly. They both have pros/cons and are different.

Gel cells store better and deep cycle better. They can be easily destroyed
by improper charge voltage(~14.2V). Not good for automotive use due to
voltage regulation requirements(although I have 12 yr old prevailer gel cell
in my dak going on a year now w/ no problems-I guess the dak doesn't
overcharge it)

Absorbed glass mat has faster charge/discharge rate capacities and aren't as
sensitive to overcharging.

-- --Patrick Delgado
2000 Dakota RC 5.9 R/T; 9 psi Powerdyne w/ 7-rib pulley, Gatorback belt, F&B
stage I TB, TV cable adj., Homebrewed K&N 0920 behind foglight, MAP boost
bypass, IAT relocation, MSDBTM, MSD 8.5 superconductors, 3923's, MP
computer, NO CAT, katbox, full Hotchkis kit, Bilsteins, 275/50 nittos and
305/45 BFG's, powerslots/QS pads, Jason cap. In possession but not in
position; Belly pan plate and traction bars.