Re: RE: RPM Fluctuations?

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 16:32:36 EST

""RayB"" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:DHELJEKAGJCDGEGBEHHJMECCCMAA.bpracing@worldnet.att.net...

> Sounds to me like it's just the normal downshifting of the automatic. In
> general terms, as you slow down, OD turns off, it downshifts to 3rd, 2nd
and
> first as your speed decreases and somewhere in there the torque converter
> unlocks. Each of those changes will alter your rpm somewhat.
>
> RayB
> http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/20KM1FD2KWBP.html

I guess you misunderstood. It will do its ~100 rpm fluctuation over and
over. As I'm coasting along... 100rpm up, down to normal, 100rpm up, down
to normal. I know what you mean about when stopping, the thing will
downshift. I've read on here that fluctuations at cruise (ie. tranny going
OD, 3, OD, 3) indicate a trans on the way out, but nothing about when I'm
coasting. The weird part is that it's only when the RPMs drop below 1000
(indicated). If I'm cruising along at 80km/h, then take my foot completely
off the gas, the rpm steadily declines, without any back and forth
fluctuation, until it plateaus around the 1000 mark.

I really hope it's nothing serious... anyway...