Re: HELP ! I need opinions on this....

From: Dakota Reading List (barongrey@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 17:53:31 EST

Sound's like a good try for some free money, to me! After all, the
difference between 'dealership' and stealership' is just one tiny typo!

I'd say take it to another dealer, like the man says. Don't let on that
anyone else has looked at it.

It's really not too likely to be 'carbon buildup' unless it's been BURNING a
lot of OIL lately. The gasoline we have today virtually eliminates the
chance of getting carbon buildup from it.

I'd venture to suggest plugs, then coil packs, then wires. A couple of
bottles of fuel injector cleaner run through the engine as per directions
wouldn't hurt, either.

I certainly wouldn't let then tear it down to 'inspect' it. They can see
carbon problems or cracked/bent/stuck valves by putting a borescope through
a plug hole.

If you've been keeping your end of the bargain by getting the oil changed
regularly and haven't been buying gasoline inMexico, you should still have a
good-running truck.

Good luck!

Steve Stanfield

""Engelsman, Konnie"" <konnie_engelsman@adp.com> wrote in message

> Good Morning all,
>
> I could use your thoughts on a little situation I am having. My 8th
> Cylinder is misfiring. My personal mechanic took a look at this, and
> checked out all the simple reasons that might happen (spark plug, etc) and
> he feels it may be an injector or a fuel issue.
>
> I called my dealer to schedule this to be repaired, as I still have a
> warranty, and the response I got was this:
>
> " That might be caused by carbon buildup in the valves. If that's the
case,
> it wouldn't be covered. It depends on how well you maintain & what kind
of
> gas you are using. To fix that it's a few hundred. "
>
> First, let me state I have used 87 or better gas in every vehicle I ever
> owned, and I've never even heard of this before, never mind had a
problem.
> I also change my oil & maintain my vehicle above & beyond the norm. I just
> had a maintenance done in July. My dak has 68K right now, and was running
> perfectly until about 2 weeks ago, when the idle started feeling very
rough,
> and then a few days later I got the little SES dummy light. This is when I
> took it to be looked at by my guy.
>

> This sounds like a load of crap to me, and an easy way to try & rip off
the
> average person. After all, it's not like I could have much proof to use
in
> my defense, other than oil change receipts. I obviously need to get the
Dak