Re: Motor Trend (APRIL ISSUE) Mistake quote with the Mopar Viper

From: Dakota Reading List (barongrey@mchsi.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 14:14:42 EST

In my experience, gas mileage isn't neccessarily linked to engine
displacement. It has more to do with the gear ratios and driver's right
foot.

We had a couple of Mazda pickups with the little four-banger and manual
trans and neither one of them ever got as much as 18 mpg.

Contrast this with my '85 Lincoln Town Car with the 5.0 liter engine
(302.c.i.) that regularly got 27+ mpg no matter if I was driving city or
country.

A relatively light vehicle like the Dakota would most likely get pretty
decent gas mileage since the V-10 would hardly be working 90% of the time.
Just guessing (my best friend drives a 3/4 ton Ford with the V-10 and gets
20 mpg), I'd say we could expect at least 20+ mpg if the truck is driven
conservatively.

We'll just have to wait and see how it works out. I probably wouldn't buy
the first year they're available anyway.

:-)