RE: 2003 QC mystery part

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 20:46:30 EST

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of andy levy
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 6:36 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: 2003 QC mystery part

<It's a steel rod about an inch in diameter. Can't tell if it's solid or
a tube (sound about right, Neil?)>

I didn't think to measure it but my guess is that it's about 1 1/2 inches in
diameter and it appears to be hollow not solid.

It has no connection to the spare tire windlass or the access hole that the
windlass crank inserts into.
It is also about eight inches rearward of the back edge of the spare tire
tread so it doesn't seem to serve any function in guiding the spare into
position as it's hoisted.

Here's my guess:
It serves to locate the frame extensions for the rear bumper at the correct
distance apart for assembly onto the frame as a set instead of one-at-a-time
while allowing some up/down, fore/aft movement to account for manufacturing
tolerances and they forgot to remove it once the bumper was installed.
If this doesn't sound good, I'll have a better one by tomorrow.