Re: 2003 QC mystery part

From: KenCo (ken@kencofish.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 15:14:23 EST

andy levy wrote:

> While giving the new truck a DML inspection, Neil discovered a rather
> odd part on my '03 QC 4x4. It's dark now so I can't take pictures (will
> try tomorrow), but if anyone can ID this thing, I'll be very grateful.

possibly a "crush tube" for extra strenght in rear end accidents?
or
a hanger for tow chains.

> It's a steel rod about an inch in diameter. Can't tell if it's solid or
> a tube. Located directly behind the rear bumper. It's mounted between
> a pair of large and soft rubber bushings on each end, with about an inch
> total up/down front/rear motion. These bushings are set in cups, which
> are then mounted to a v-bracket (one on each end of the bar), the
> bracket is then mounted to the frame extensions (for the bumper). It is
> not mounted to the bumper at all, and not hard-mounted to the frame.
> (sound about right, Neil?)
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. This thing makes no sense.
> About all we could come up with was a damper or couterweight to offset
> some kind of vibration elsewhere in the truck. Can other QC owners take
> a look and see if they have the same? 4x2 or 4x4, any year.
>
> --
> -andy
>
> http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@yahoo.com
> modesty, n.:
> Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.