Re: 4.7L oil change (humor?)

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 14:15:29 EST

try this:
http://www.fumotovalve.com

I just ordered one for myself...

                              -Barry
MCP, A+, Network+, Server+

Efficiency is doing things right.
Effectiveness is doing the right things.
Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking.

Contact Info:
=================
217-899-6105 Cell
217-467-8673 Page
217-558-6000 Desk
=================

Alternate Email:
=================
barryoliver@novanis.com
Username: barrysuperhawk
on AIM, Yahoo, MSN and AT&T Instant Messenging clients
=================

>>> ADiRamio@opensolutions.com 03/03/03 12:26PM >>>

First a question for the 4.7 Do It Yourself crowd - How do you get the oil
filter out without spilling all over the frame and plastic? I guess I need
to fab some sort of foil/cardboard side type thing to direct the inevitable
overflow out the hole and into the tub.

Now the funny part?

Well, I had some extra time this weekend, and the Dak was due for an oil
change. I figured what the heck. If the people working at Jiffy Lube can
do it...

Got on the creeper to roll under the truck, and it broke! Threw it out and
crawled under and took out the drain plug, being careful to place it on the
shelf in clean paper towels, drained the oil, even dropped an extra quart
thru to clean any residual gunk out (thought I read that on a post somewhere
and it sounded like a good idea). So far so good. The tub I chose held all
the oil, didn't leak, I felt pretty good. I then had to find the oil
filter. After searching, there is a round removable "door" in the plastic
piece that runs from the bumper to a frame member. Took the door off and
saw that the filter didn't line up with the hole, and prayed I wasn't going
to take an oil bath. It wasn't too bad, as only a few ounces oozed down my
arm and into the crack where the frame member meets the plastic piece (this
should be fun to clean up...). Changed out the filter and mopped up as best
as I could. When putting back the drain plug, it is best NOT to drop it in
the used oil. A long crescent wrench will be helpful to remove it when it
falls in, despite your best efforts.

Anyways, I felt good when it was done, and I know it won't take nearly as
long next time.

Art DiRamio
'01 Patriot Blue QC Sport+ Auto HD 4X4
4.7L 3.55s Penda soft tonneau
'97 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500

NOTICE: This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
or otherwise exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this e-mail is not the
intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
immediately notify us by replying to the original message at the listed
email address. Thank You.