Re: Congestion

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 00:19:56 EST

andy levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
: That sounds like a plan. Have groups split off and do their own ride,
: then meet at the lower waterfall, and then take different routes back up
: to the barn.

: I was just remembering back to my Boy Scouts days when we we'd have 25
: people in a backpacking crew for a weekend and how noisy, crowded and
: slow the trail got. The treks with 10-12 guys were a lot more
: enjoyable. Kind of the same idea here.

  Makes sense - and I'm all for making it more enjoyable! I've always
said, if anyone has any comments, ideas or suggestions as to how to
make it better, I'm all ears!

  I'm always trying to think of new things that could be done to
keep the interest and fun up. I mean, the trails are always fun, but I
like to have new things too. The pit seems to have been a hit, but
I have a feeling it will start to get played out - there are already
a number of people who won't dip a tire in the thing. ;-) The
waterfall was certainly fun, but now that it has been conquered, will
it continue to hold as much interest as it has in the past? Probably
so, for a few more years at least, I would guess. There is a
pretty good sized gully to the side of the airstrip which would
be an excellent test of articulation, approach and departure angles,
depending on the location you tackle it. (We didn't even get a chance
to try that one last year.) I have also thought about doing something
like an obstacle course with muddy logs, rocks, etc. If there is interest
in such a thing, I/we could certainly build one! (There's no lack of
natural resources here, so it wouldn't take any money, just time,
manpower, and gasoline.) One thing I had planned to do was build an
RTI ramp, and went as far as obtaining plans and pricing the steel,
but that's where it stopped. I didn't think the interest in an RTI
ramp would be worth the expense to buy the steel. I am certainly no
offroading expert and have never been to a "sanctioned" event, so if
there are any other fun things that could be done, I am definitely
open to suggestions!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'