Re: 3.55 to 3.92 gear swap

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 10:57:38 EST

At 09:32 AM 3/13/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey all i got the factory 3.55 with the sure grip posi I just bought a set
>of 3.92 gears to put in. My question is How hard is this to do. Is it
>something that has to be done by a shop. Thanks

I would advise that you find a shop experienced in doing gear swaps.
When I went from 3.55 to 3.92, I had an experienced shop do the swap.
At this shop, only the owner and one other mechanic do all gear swaps.
The mechanic had to remove the bearings twice before he was satisfy
with its alignment.

When Jim Knox, 91 4x4, did his swap, he first went to a Dodge dealer.
None of their mechanics had done a gear swap. One of their mechanics
told him that he could work though the install but that it would take him
two days. An experienced mechanic will take 4 to 6 hours. I made a
3.92 to 4.56 swap last week done by the same mechanic who did my
3.55 to 3.92 swap. This was a little more complicated swap and took
him 8 hours. Granted, they know I drag race with the truck so they
double-check everything. If the rear end blows, it's not going to be
because of an improper install :-)

HTH.
Bob