Re: 3.55 to 3.92 gear swap

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 16:47:06 EST

Hi Dave,

>Hey Bob, stepped up the 4.56's, huh? Going all out for your last season I
>see :) I might go with 'em too eventually, gonna see how the initial setup
>works out first.

Yep. My Old Age Security cheques start in August what other better place
to spend the extra money :-)

Actually I finally was able to dyno what the diy ported heads and Hughes cam
did to my power curve in Jan. They raised my peak hp rpm to about
5800 from 5000 (gulp!). With my 3.92 and 26" drag tires, I was crossing
the 1/4-mi.
line at 5000 or so. So unless I wanted to use the extra power from 5000 to
5800 between the finish line and the turn-off, I had to "lengthen" the
track :-)
Hence the 4.56.

Local track is supposed to open April 5th. I'll find out if the 4.56 and
26" MTs
(a little larger than most 26") have me hitting the rev limiter before the 1/4.
All my calcs. indicated that it'll be close. If I do hit the limiter, I
have a set
of 28" BFGs and will advance the camshaft a few degrees to bring the peak hp
down a couple hundreds rpms for a better match.

>Gotta stop losing to these clubcabs :P

You really really don't have too :-)

>Man I can't wait to get home, got some more parts delivered the other day.

Keep me abreast as to how things progress once you're home. I'm still
thinking of making my last runs at Cecil in November :-)

Bob