RE: vibration with the powerslot rotors

From: Rick Barnes (barnesrv@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 17:23:44 EST

Sounds like a stuck caliper.
Rascal

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Brian T.
Carter
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 5:00 PM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: DML: vibration with the powerslot rotors

I did the upgrade to PowerSlot rotors with RayBestos QS pads. My old rotors
were warped. I also removed the calipers, painted them, remounted, and bled
the system.

Everything seemed fine. I was very careful during break-in. At first, I was
extremely impressed. In fact, right at the end of the break-in (around 800
miles), I had a Mexican bus pull in front of me and stop - absolutely quiet
and near instant stop.

After several weeks, I noticed that I could almost feel pads scraping the
slot - or so I thought. It has now developed into low-speed grabbing,
especially first thing in the morning, and vibrations slowing down from high
speed or fast stopping. I also have uneven wear on the front tires.

I procrastinated changing the tires, and they are now severely worn. I did
some minor rock crawling shortly after the switch, and had many trips to
Mexico under my belt before that. An alignment has also been long overdue.
So, here are my possible theories:
1) I screwed up the alignment rock-crawling, which caused uneven tire wear,
and now I have vibration,
2) I did something wrong when I switched the calipers and now the ABS is not
functioning correctly,
3) ?????

I am replacing the tires and getting an alignment tomorrow, so I hope that
will help (I am not confident it will).

What could I have done during the break job to cause this? Is there some
super-secret double-backhanded bleeding process that needs to be followed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BTC
2000 QC, 4.7L 4x4, 84K miles and counting