Re: 4.7 W/Auto Trans.

From: steve preston (steves287dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 22:25:56 EST

This combo is what I have,and is supposed to be very
reliable. The 4.7 is a great little motor,it`s quiet
and smooth,and is designed to go 150,000 miles before
any significant engine wear,whereas "LA" series motors
are "only" rated for 100K,supposedly. What junk! :)
The 45RFE is a very heavy transmission,complex,but
it`s supposedly reliable. I think all Hemis are going
to use this automatic. My only gripe with the 45RFE is
occasionally it will downshift a little harshly,and
once in a great while it will upshift from 3rd to
Drive vaguely,sort of delayed a little bit. But it has
never really made me think that it has a problem. All
Chrysler automatic transmissions have their own
quirks. But all in all,the 4.7 and 45RFE are a pretty
solid combination. Not everybody loves the 4.7 in a
Ram,though,because it is not a big V8. More of a Dak
motor. Steve P.