RE: Re: RE: Warped PowerSlot Rotors

From: Rick Barnes (barnesrv@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 19:15:11 EST

Good info, thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of DAKSY
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 10:07 PM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: Re: DML: Re: RE: Warped PowerSlot Rotors

Hey, Josh / Andy!

<snip> To my understanding you are not able to turn slotted/drilled rotors.
Am I
 mistaken?<snip>

Yes, you ARE mistaken.

<snip> They can be turned. You just have to have the proper tools and
 knowledge. Unfortunately I can't find Bob Smith's post about it in the
 archives.<snip>

Stop looking! I'll re-iterate.

Carbide inserts are well suited for turning just about anything. The insert
will not even notice that it is removing material from an interrupted
surface. Unless PowerSlots are made from tool steel, with a Rockwell C"
Hardness of 60 or greater, which I sincerely doubt, they'd hafta be surface
or rotary ground to remove material.
More likely they are made of a form of cast-iron which is readily
machinable. Should your rotors require .020" material removal to "true" them
up, a 9" dia. (D) cast-iron rotor, with a cutting speed (CS) of 1000 surface
feet per minute (SFPM) & a feed rate of .007 inches per revolution (IPR),
and assuming Pi to be 3.14, the formula is as follows:

RPM = (CS X12) / (D X Pi)

          = (1000 X 12) / 9 X 3.14)

          = 12000 / 28.26

          = 421

421 rev/min X .007 in/ rev = 2.85 in/min

9" D / 2.85 in/min = 3.14 min (per side)

So a good lathe man should be able to turn one rotor - both sides - in less
than 20 minutes. The lathe set-up shouldn't take him more than 5-6 minutes
for the first side & about 1/2 that for the 2nd side.
*Whew*
I'm done playing machinist for now...

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY