Re: Wow!

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 17:21:32 EST

that's plain out ROBBERY!!! it cost me about $25 to do my rear diff using
redline full synthetic oil. If you've got an hour ot two you're golden.

Go to the speed shop (or auto parts store) and get yourself some (probably 4
qts combined, i'd get 5 to be safe) nice 90 weight gear oil (I prefer
synthetic - redline specifically) and a tube or 2 of permatex black sealant.
Pull the spare out of the rear and you can sit under the bed to work, just
unbolt the cover starting at bottom center and work your way out. Pry the
edges a tad so the old lube can come out, remove the cover and wipe down the
magnets and cover. clean up the mating surfaces VERY well and use the
permatex to create a "gasket" before you put the cover back on. I took my
cover to work and made a xerox of it after it was squeaky-clean and used
that imprint on a piece of gasket material (compressed paper type but you
could use 1/8" cork) to make myself a gasket so I don't use permatex at all.
No leaks that way. Next, pop out the plug, re-attach the cover, and bolt it
down nice and good. Get yourself a nice flex funnel and pour in the
modifier if needed and then fill to the bottom of the hole with oil. plug
'er up and your done. Now you can move up to the front. After you're all
done go and drive about 20 figure 8's in each direction to get that new lube
into the clutchpacks if you're got the SG or LSD.

Even if you make your own gaskets like I did, it shouldn't cost you more
than about $50 to do both, assuming you don't go outrageous on your gear
lube/modifier. If the extra $200 in your pocket is worth the few hours and
that ungodly nasty smell of used gear oil to you, then welcome to the club!

I hope this helps.

--
-Josh
2000 Dakota CC 3.9L

""VRMan"" <pbatson68@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b5qjjt$f4o$1@bent.twistedbits.net... > > I just talked to the dealer. He said it would cost $250 to change the fluid > in the front and rear axles. That seems high to me. Does that sound right? > > I was thinking about doing it myself, but I'm not sure how involved it is. > > Thanks, > Phil > 2000 4x4 CC > >