Re: Front brakes

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sun Apr 06 2003 - 04:12:11 EDT

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 05:38:40 -0500, cwkitts@comcast.net wrote:

>Hey guys, just got my truxk back from the dealer. She needed new pads and
>rotors at 12000 miles. Dealer said it wasnt covered due to being a wear
>item. Well after a long conversation (needless to say there was a few choice
>words involved), and a call to Chrysler (again, choice words) the parts WERE
>covered.
>
>My question is, to those guys that have had there dak for a while, is 12000
>miles on vrakes normal??

Did it actually need new rotors or were they just warped? I guess
they were probably toast since you needed new pads as well. For me,
that hasn't been "normal." I've got 43,000 miles on my '00 CC 4x4 now
and am still running the original brakes. At around 16,000 miles, the
rotors started warping -- very minor pulsation. It slowly got worse,
and at somewhere between 20 and 24k (don't feel like digging out the
paperwork now) I had the rotors and drums machined. The problem went
away, but started coming back at around 40k miles. It's almost as bad
now as it was when I finally had them machined last time. This time,
I'm going to replace the rotors with powerslots (also going to go with
Hawk pads). At the same time, I'll probably have the drums machined
and replace the shoes as well.

Anyway, as far as actual wear goes, at the time I had them machined, I
still had a bit over 90% thickness left both front and rear. You've
probably got disc brakes on the rear though, too, being an '02?

-Bill