Re: side terminal battery

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 12:44:55 EDT

Dan Kramarsky <dkramarsky68@yahoo.com> wrote:

: all,

: i know this may seem a bit silly, but is there any problem with replacing the
: terminals and going with a side-post battery?

: i've been wanting to replace the terminals, but as it is now, the cables seem
: short. and i think I will have to cut off the old terminals (crimped) to put
: on the new ones making it even shorter. the only hope i think is to switch to
: a side-post battery. that way the terminals would reach again.

   Dan,

  No, there shouldn't be a problem with replacing your standard
terminals with the side-post type. If you do that though, I would
recommend getting a battery that has both types of terminals on it,
as it is often much easier to do a jump start with the standard
terminals.

  One drawback of switching to a side post just because of a
terminal change of course, is the expense of $40-70 for a new battery,
which is probably somewhat of a waste if your current battery is fine
and you have no other use for it.

  Another option you may want to look into is, trace your battery
cables back to their sources. I believe the negative will be attached
near the front of the engine in the driver's side head area. I don't
recall exactly where the positive lead goes, down to the starter I
think, with a split off somewhere for the PDC.

  Anyway, trace them back and see how they are attached and how many
splices come off of them. That should allow you to determine the ease or
difficulty of replacing the entire lead. You can get new ones at
Autozone, etc. in many different lengths, with different terminals and
connectors. It might be worth your while to look into that option;
you can probably replace both leads for somewhere around $10-15 which
is a lot cheaper than buying a new battery.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'