Re: Re: Re: RE: Suspension Leaning

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 11:13:20 EDT

Hi Tom

Chrysler was still using coil front suspension thru 1956. Then the radical
body styling changes with the 3 tone paint options and huge tail fins (fins
being just hinted on the '56 models) across the entire line with the 1957
models which also brought some engine and transmission changes and
"Torsion-Aire" front suspension was also introduced.
I was a college student at the time and remember well what an impact these
cars had on the car buying public. Unfortunately, assembly line quality
control was extremely poor so a great many 57's had to be returned to the
dealers over and over for adjustments and repairs. There were also many
problems with the engineering of the bodies and premature rust, rattles, etc
were legion. The word got out and the '58 sales year was a marketing
disaster. I seem to recall the '57 was also Chrysler's first step into unit
body design except for a front stub frame from front bumper to the
transmission and therein lay some of the body problems.
Driving one of those 50's torsion suspension cars compared to all the other
Detroit competition of that time was a joy. In later years to cater to the
Buick-types of car buyers Chrysler used thinner bars to soften the ride and
you had to order HD suspension packages to get a firmer handler. My first
new car was a '62 Plymouth Valiant and the HD suspension pkg cost a whopping
$12 on factory order!

Paul Sahlin