RE: DML Digest V5 #962

From: Downing, David GS-13 (DowningD@constellation.navy.mil)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 20:51:16 EDT

>Hey, sailor! I understand the old Connie isn't being retired quite as soon
>as expected, eh?
>keep up the good work! My son is with you guys on the Truman.
>Warheads on foreheads!
>
>Jon
>STL MO

Well, nothing official yet, but we're hearing the same thing. The problem
is that they've screwed up everyone's deployment schedules, and now they're
trying to figure out how to get them back on track (normal cycle for a
battle group is supposed to be 18 months). One way is to keep the Connie
around a lil longer which will give them 13 carriers after the Reagan comes
out this summer (which is actually kinda illegal, since the Navy is only
authorized to have 12 carriers, but hey, who's gonna stop us? :P ). There's
also rumors of 9-12 month deployments to get everyone back on track.
Whatever route they choose, it's not gonna be pretty and a lot of people are
gonna end up getting screwed, but that's life.

-Dave