Re: Re: VA inspection

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 17:13:30 EDT

It's a state inspection you have to get once a year. VA is one of the worst
states when it comes to cost of owning a vehicle, but it's getting better.
State Inspection checks several things. First, they make sure everything on
your vehicle is working correctly (brakes, tires not worn out, wiper blades
work, all external lights work).. One of the worst rip-offs is the
"headlight out of alignment" BS. They charge you an extra $5 to align the
headlights, but I bet 1/2 the time they don't do anything to 'em, just
another money-maker. With the cat convertor, that's a real kicker. If you
have one on your vehicle, it has to be in good working order (sniffer test),
but if you don't have one, that's OK (I think that's if it's from the
factory that way though). Same thing with the 3rd brake light on top. If I
have one, it has to be working (even if I added it on), otherwise it'll
fail. They failed me last year because of my Rams head tail light covers.
I've had 'em on for 2 years now, and I've probably had at least a dozen cops
behind me, daytime and nightime, and none of 'em have pulled me over for
them due to the lights not being visible enough.... They'll also fail you
for any exhaust leaks

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L