Re: Stripped thermostat bolt

From: David Rand Kirtland (drk16@cornell.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 22:11:36 EDT

I drilled a snap thermostat housing bolt out and installed a heli-coil on a
98 318 durango. I left the manifold on and just unbolted the alternator
and moved it out of the way. For the tap I just used a 12 point socket and
an extension ( I will be fine for use on an aluminum intake). Its really
not that bad of a job

At 08:56 PM 4/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>well i got the belly pan gasket replaced on saturday. that was an
>afternoon of fun... i replaced the water pump also. in doing this i had
>to buy a new tube today for it. couldn't get the old one out. so
>anyways. i go to fill up the radiator with antifreeze. start it up and
>it is running pretty decent. then the leaks start... first i notice
>around the thermostat housing or upper hose. and then by the heater
>core... i bent the heater tubes a bit replacing the hoses.. i
>straightened those out a bit.
>hopefully it will work or i'll be replacing that soon... but i play with
>the thermostat housing. i don't know if i moved it to much or what, but
>not one of the bolts is stripped... the threads looked all mashed. so i
>guess my main option is to tap it and put a larger bolt in. anyone have
>experience with this?? i would rather not have to take the intake off
>again. i could do it much quicker this time at least.. i am going to
>have the guys at work weld a longer bar on my tap. it is real difficult
>to get in there with it. any other ideas?? i tried finding a larger self
>tapping bolt, but no luck. thanks for any help...
>

>Mike K
>94 SLT,CC,239,2wd,auto
>95 Sport,RC,360,5-speed
>http://www.hornok.com/zig