Re: ... GARY'S GONE .... Traction question

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 10:48:17 EDT

BARRY OLIVER wrote:
> Assuming a 4x4, gen 3, CC, Mopar 3" catback, 318, K&N drop in, 31x13.50 tires, HEAVY.
> I have two questions:
> #1, my truck is too heavy to ever be fast, but other than going to a home-brew/FIPK, is there anything simple I can do to get some of my roll-on performance back?
> #2, I know that it you use the 4wd for traction, you suffer pretty bad driveline loss, but does anybody know how much? AWD in a drag truck seems like an awesome concept, but how much hp do you lose paying for that extra traction?

> That was last year buddy!!!!..........this is a new season..
> and it was low 16's.....as in 16.149 @ 84.24....with NO
> TRACTION at all!!!!!
>
> heheheheh.....wait till next weekend!!!........muhahahaha!!

There has been much debate on this subject, over the years. The
transfer case is probably the weakest link in this theory. From what I
understand now - Dakotas do not have a CAD on the front axle (anymore)
and the front axle is moving at the same speed in 2 or 4wd - so that end
probably would be "ok". But the transfer cases wern't built to be
dumped on at a drag strip. They are chain/sprocket drive lines and are
prone to stretching - just the nature of the beast. I admit to having
shifted into 4wd a hand full of times... to gain some added traction in
a "situation" - - but I recommend agaisnt it. Unless you replace the
front drive line with something a little more bullet proof...or have
several spare T-cases layin around - don't bother.

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/