Another Viper Fan Story, good one!

From: TJ Goettner (dakota52318@toad.net)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 22:34:22 EDT

    Okay, I finally got everything together. Got the fan mounted to the
radiator, radiator in the truck... wiring to the fan, and new 120A
alternator to pick up the slack of the old stock 90A. In drive, on high,
lights on, and AC on, the voltage was dropping down to 12.3VDC.... NO GOOD
(fan RPMs dropped). So I went to NAPA yesterday and picked up the 120A and
got it in today... 14.3 with everything on, MUCH BETTER.
    This is the way I have mine wired. 1 relay to feed power to the
Perma-cool adjustable temp fan switch, relay energized by ignition ctk. The
perma-cool has a wire that senses the AC clutch V, that wire goes to a
switch in the cab that allows me to control that. If Im going down the
highway, I dont need the fan coming on every time the AC does so I can
disable that. One relay that is selected by a 3 position switch to turn the
fan on low when it is called for. 2 relays to hold the high current of high
speed are energized by the permacool through the 3 position switch. The
last posotion of the switch is OFF. I also have a third switch that will
allow me to turn on the fan manually, while selecting also what speed by the
3-pos switch. Good for sitting in the staging lanes.
       I am very pleased with the performance the fan has given the truck.
Of course, throttle response went up slightly, low end power did not, but I
didnt exspect it too, there is little drag at low RPMs by the clutch fan....
BUT from 3K up, I noticed I big gain. I am going to Cruzzin OC this year
and will find out how it does on gas millage then, should put me at 20MPG.
Overall, $550 later, Im happy.

TJ
dakota52318@toad.net
1992 Dodge Dakota 4X4