RE: Viper Fan Saab temperature switch

From: Bill Nissley (bill@nissley.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 02:00:43 EDT

James,
I can't really address the high speed fan part of your question. I don't
have that hooked up yet. I do know that the temperatures that I got when
I tested the thermoswitch's low setting don't mirror what I am seeing
when it is installed on the truck. I think in part that this may be due
to the fact that the switch itself is catching some of the fans wind.
Also I can't say for sure that the stove top test is accurate for the
cooling down temperature. The water is stagnant so the heat transfer
from the switch to the water would probably be less than if the cooler
water from the radiator were going past it. (just a theory)

When I am going around town (high was 70 degrees and sunny) on city
streets the fan was mostly running after the initial warm up time.
However there were times when it did shut off. On the freeway, it didn't
come on at all until I got off. When I got home the fan ran for just a
couple of minutes and shut off. The temperature gauge had hardly moved
when the fan shut off.

I'll let you know how things go when I get the High speed part
functioning. It might not activate itself until mid summer though. (I
hope)

Bill