RE: AMSOIL...Is it just me or...

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 12:09:53 EDT

15w50 Mobil 1 too thick for godawful hot midwest summer? Everything else I have heard about 15w50 Mobil 1 is that most everybody that uses it thinks it's the perfect oil. I do a lot of highway miles [35k/yr] and was under the impression that this was a prudent choice.

>>> bpracing@worldnet.att.net 05/01/03 09:49AM >>>

Barry...agree on the 0w30 but your 15w50 seems awfully heavy as well. Don't
remember the year of your truck but most late models are built with very
close tolerances to operate safely with lighter viscosity oils. A heavier
than recommended viscosity will be more difficult for the oil pump to move
and could be costing you some performance and mileage.

I'm in central Ohio where summer temps can easily reach the high 90's or
above. We race all our vehicles in these temps and have had no problems
with the factory recommended viscosity. For instance, my '92 Dak...10w30.
Our '00 4.7L Grand Cherokee and '02 Stratus R/T...5w30. They've been raced
all their lives :-) and none use any oil nor has anything broken.

Just my .02 worth.

RayB