Re: DML Digest V5 #1031

From: stcr (stcr@lvcm.com)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 12:23:18 EDT

No, you are the one who is incorrect. The terms he is using for E-Bay
auctions (and auctions anywhere for that matter) are correct. His MINIMUM
STARTING BID is $8800. Just because an auction starts at a particular
amount does not mean that a winning bid for that amount will be
automatically accepted by the seller. Sellers can use a RESERVE amount -
this is the minimum dollar amount that the seller will actually accept for
their product, and is typically a blind (not publicly revealed) figure.

Reserve figures are used quite often in auctions where the product to be
bought is not in very high demand - the seller uses an underinflated dollar
amount as a minimum starting bid to attract people's attention to the
product and get the bidding started, then uses the reserve figure to make
sure that they do not get screwed if the winning bid is low. Contrary to
the way some people have been brainwashed by E-Bay sellers, minimum starting
bids do NOT need to be $1.00 in order to use a reserve... This is just a
big example of how minimum bids/reserves can reach silly levels to entice
you to buy their crap - you probably wouldn't give it a second glance until
you see that $1.00 amount, and it makes you stop and look, and probably bid
something - once you've started bidding, you can get hooked into the item
and will follow the bids as they climb.

The practice of minimum bids/reserves have been in place at auctions
throughout the world for over a century.