Re: Spark Plug Failures? 3.9L V6

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 17:50:17 EDT

Bruce,

Is the heat shield still intact around the plug? If I'm remembering
correctly (aka: not talking out of my ass) the #2 plug is on the left front
of the motor... I also think that it's nessled fairly decently inside the
#2 cyl portion of the manifold... Maybe it's time to try a heat insulating
sleeve or something along the lines of plug wire wrap (non conductive of
course) and see what's going on. You might want to check and make sure
there's nothing touching it while you're driving... Good luck and keep us
posted!

I've got 45K on my V6 auto and have never had problems with any spark plugs
cracking or anything of that sort, and I removed the heat shields on day one
when I pulled the champion plugs for autolites... Believe me, I beat that
little V6 pretty hard (it's hard to go from a V8 mustang to a V6 truck and
not beat on it) too, so I've got a feeling that it gets pretty warm down
there...

Just a thought, but how are your heads looking? I've heard of some weird
cracking in the magnum heads, maybe yours warped and changed the shape of
the plug hole, thus causing unusual stresses on the plug causing it to crack
from stress???

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L

"Bruce" <banjorules@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:20030513213630.82101.qmail@web9601.mail.yahoo.com... > > I own a '00 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. It has the 3.9L V6 > with the 4 speed auto. > > Dec 2002, at 64k miles I had the engine tuned up. > Within 4K miles, the engine ran rough at cold startup > and developed a severe miss and the Engine Failure > light lit off. I took it back and the trouble code was > a "Misfire detected in cylinder #2". The mechanic > determined it to be a cracked insulator on cylinder #2 > spark plug and replaced the spark plug under warranty. > 4K miles later, the engine started running rough at > cold startup, had the same miss and the engine light > lit off again. The trouble code was again "misfire in > cylinder #2". Pulling the spark plug, it was found to > be a cracked insulator once again. It was replaced > once again under warranty. The mechanic could offer no > explanation for a double failure of this type. > > I have to believe the odds against 2 defective spark > plugs winding up in the same cylinder on the same > engine failing in the same mileage are astronomical. > > All routine scheduled maintenance has been performed > on this truck. > > Has anyone else run into circumstances as I've > described or have any ideas what could be causing a > failure of this type? > > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. > http://search.yahoo.com