Home-made cool air induction for $12.00

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 02:38:05 EDT

well I finally got it installed. i came across a neat little
invention at my local Lowe's Hardware called "FLEX-A-SPOUT". has
anyone else seen this?

It's a flexible downspout extension. kinda looks like a *huge* flexible
straw.
it can extend into any position. bend it. stretch it. it holds what ever
shape you put it in. internal diameter is always 3.75". one opening is
2x3" square and the other end is 3x4" square. can stretch to 55" long
pic---> http://shop.store.yahoo.com/guttersdirect/flexaspout1.html

And then i picked up some reflective tape.
pic--->
http://building-materials.aubuchonhardware.com/insulation/insulation/reflective_foil_tape-112291.asp

anyway, i left the store about $12 lighter than when I went in.

drove to my friend house. i checked the fit of the 'straw'. the smaller
opening fit pretty good on my airhat inlet. then i rough fit it to where i
wanted it to go. making the straw bend as needed. the straw kept the shape.
next i took off the airhat and permenantly attached the straw to the airhat
with two large sheet metal screws (i think they where #10 x 3/8" ) plus some
washers. I put one thru the top. and the other thru the bottom.

last, i lightly wrapped the straw with reflective tape to keep the heat away.
( those headers get toasty ). it was easy to wrap because the straw kept
it's shape the whole time i was workin' with it when it was off the truck.

now i re-installed the whole thing as one unit. used some plastic tie wraps to
secure the other end of straw to my grill.

i think i spent 30 to 40 minutes tops.
i tested it some. i think it works good. but on monday i really get to test
it on my commute to work. ;-)

-dan

=====
Dan K.
'92 Grey Dak CC, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.90 rear, 235/75R15, PS, PW, PB, Cruise,
AC, & 110,000mi. MODS--> home-made cold air induction.

future mods: trans-go shift kit, 3" Gibson single pipe, and underdrive pulleys
and a soft tonneau cover