RE: my list of cars, whats your pick?

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 09:50:52 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Punch
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 2:01 AM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: my list of cars, whats your pick?

on the realistic side of course ( what I can afford)

pt cruiser turbo - Uh, maybe. Has good use of space
inside
Subaru WRX - While fast the interior that
makes a Civic look like a BMW is what would kill it for me.

Dodge srt-4 - Fast but might not be good to
drive elderly people in. Don't know what the interior is like.

Dodge ram hemi - I love this truck but definantly to high
for elderly people. Price is a bit to high for what you get.

Dodge Dakota Quad cab - Love the truck would be a good hauler
for elderly as long as 4x2. 4x4 might be high.

jeep rubicon - Not good on room, not easy for elderly
to get in and out of (or anybody else for that matter), Most
important...Way Overpriced.

hyundai Tiburon - Not to be a car snob but the name says
it all. On other side not a bad car for the money and if it's crap the
warranty more than makes up for it.

chevy impalla ss - Personally I think the current
version is ugly as hell. I especially love the el bandito tail light
look. Would be a good car for hauling people around in. Never seen what
type of rear room there is.

lincoln ls v8 - Have read good and bad on these but what
car hasn't been there. Seem to be nice and but might be a little
overpriced (not positive here). Fun to have it and tell the people who
bought a Jag s-type that other than body and upgraded interior you have
the same thing then ask them if they think it was worth the nearly extra
30k they paid.

which would you choose?

Future kids on the way and elderly parents who won't/can't drive to far
( I
gotta pick them up and drive them places)

punch

I like trucks but have respect for a good car also. It's really going to
be what makes you feel comfortable and something you can live with for a
while. I am big on interior and useable space because I feel that you
have to be in that car for a while and your not going to be sitting on
the hood. It's important to me that the car does not waste space with
what it has. On the other hand I do like looks and try to compromise
with performance a bit. Not sure what the Lincoln LS runs and if it's a
stretch for you but another option here if you stay away form crazy
options is the Cadillac CTS. I am not that fond of the look but on the
other side it is aggressive and a little sporty. Get it with a 5-speed
and it becomes a nice compromise. I have not researched it to see what
quality is like though. One last one to look at is the VW Passat (my
wife may be trading her New Beetle for one). You may not like it but you
do get a lot of car for the money f you stay with the 1.8t 4-cyl. Turbo.
Very peppy engine and move the car along with no prob.

I have found that beside reading the car mag reviews that using
Edmunds.com and epionions.com and reading what people have to say that
actually bought these cars are very good insight into what you can
expect. The car mags can be helpful but usually they are somewhat
biased, and try to get every car to be somewhat of a performance car.
Thos 0-60 times and such are nice until you do a little more research
(or even read the letter in the front of the mag) and find out that a
lot of them are by doing clutch dumps and such. Not very real world if
you ask me.

No matter what good luck and enjoy what you get.

Jeff Durling