Re: Re: RE: Re: Superchips Dyno Results

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 00:28:05 EDT

"RayB" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
[...]
: Have to agree with Kyle, in principle. :-) Regarding octane ratings... my
: truck, with all my mods, performs better on 92 octane than on 94 octane.
: More octane than you need can hurt performance. So....and this part is pure
: speculation...Superchips chose to be honest and used the appropriate octane
: in the stock motor for best performance, then used 91 with their mods and
: charted the difference. Perhaps if they had used 91 in the stock motor
: their numbers might have looked even better but wouldn't have been realistic
: if the truck owner hadn't used 91 in their stock motor. Possibility??

   Agreed - you really can go either way with this one. On the
one hand, science tells you that you should eliminate as many
variables as possible which means it would probably be a good
idea to test with 91 across the board, but on the other hand,
since 87 has more potential energy than 91, using the higher
octane in the stock engine could have resulted in lower than
normal "stock" numbers, inflating the modification's benefits.

   It would probably not be a bad idea to test both ways, but
in the end, I think it does make some "real world" sense to
use 87 before and 91 after - that's probably what most of
the people who try the mod are going to do (considering there
is no reason to run 91 in a properly functioning stock engine,
and 91 MUST be used due to the advanced timing afterwards), so
it does actually give an accurate indication of how much an
average vehicle might expect to gain.

   If they had tested with 91 on both engines, we'd probably
be calling foul play there too. :-) Of course, the possibility
exists that the engine was already on the verge of ping with
the 87, in which case using 91 might have boosted the stock
numbers somewhat.

   I guess what I'm trying to say is it would have been really
nice to see the test run with 87 before, 91 after AND 91
before and after, but what they did is the next best thing.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'