Re: Re: RE: Superchips Dyno Results

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@datastar.net)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 08:44:38 EDT

Time to chime in on this thread. I think everyone is in agreement that
being able to alter the factory programming is the best route. Cost of
doing so seems to deter most from this route. I'm not sure why nobody
is talking about an even better (and much cheaper) alternative. I'm
talking about a totally different computer to COMPLETELY control both
fuel and spark delivery. I'm talking about a non-Mopar alternative. It
simply boils down to spark advance/retard and controlling fuel injector
pulsewidths for the appropriate conditions (be it twin cylinder, 3, 4,
5, 6, 8, or even 12 cylinders, boosted or NA, nitrous, water injection,
cam, stroked, etc). Total control can only come from a fully
programmable non-Mopar controller. While the aftermarket controllers
can do all this - they are a bit costly over the short-term but not
long-term when compared to multiple re-flashes of factory PCM or
multiple piggy-back devices (that I agree are just band-aid fixes). I'm
talking about the $100 Megasquirt controller. Check out
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html or the Megasquirt yahoo group.
 The build-it-yourself version is about $100 while fully pre-built and
tested versions are around $200. Add a MegaSpark box (the same hardware
with different code and only 4-wire hookup) and you can have total
control of spark and fuel delivery for a minimum of around $200. Add a
DIY-WB controller and go closed-loop with wide-band control for another
$150-$200. It would be equivalent to having unlimited custom PCM
re-flashes and unlimited dyno time all while cruising down the highway
for less than $400.

Of course you could keep paying $500-600 for PCM re-flashes and costly
dyno time and still be left with a rough guess at what your motor is
really needing. Personally, I'm utilizing the $100 solution for
datalogging and confidence building and will soon be hooking up the
injectors to full MegaSquirt controll on 4 of my vehicles (including my
$22,000 Harley Dyna Wide-Glide w/V-Twin motor).

Shane