Re: Hinged soft tonneau recommendations?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 10:59:33 EDT

andy levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:
: jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
:> I did see a tonneau cover like this at a show once. I think you could
:> unhook the back, and then basically slide the tonneau up the frame,
:> all the way to the cab if you wanted to, and it would also detach at
:> any point, but I have no idea who to check for manufacturers and such -
:> I thought I would check here to see if anyone has a tonneau like this,
:> or knows who makes one.
:>
:> As usual, I'm looking for a quality product at a reasonable price.

: I got my Downey LTD (Lift Top Design) for $315 shipped, pretty good
: compared to the $415 + tax the thieves 2 blocks over wanted for the same
: unit.

    That's considerably better than the prices I've seen! Is this a
local place to you, or do they have a web site or something that
I can check out or order from?

  BTW, do you know if yours was cheaper because of the smaller QC
bed, or are they all the same price no matter the size?

: Downey uses a system where you have pyramid-shaped "snaps" that
: lock into a channel on the rails. They will slide some along the rails.
: All plastic and aluminum, no rusting. The front 20% or so of the
: siderails clamp onto the bedrails, then there's a hinge and the rails
: continue. Towards the back is a large-ish crosspiece which also houses
: the latch mechanism. A gas strut on each side.

    At first, not having the hinge at the front of the bed seems
goofy, but that might actually be a good thing for the convertible -
depending on how much is not hinged, I *might* even be able to open
the tonneau most of the way without putting the top up...

: I'm very happy with mine, the only quibble is that if I want to carry
: something that's the length of the bed and taller than the bed, I have
: to remove the whole setup from the hinges back because of that
: crosspiece. Only about a 10-minute operation though.

: I can send you pix if you like.

   Sure, if you've got some handy and its not too much trouble, I'd
like to see them. I would normally wait until the BBQ to check it
out in person, but I'd like to get a tonneau before Carlisle.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'