RE: Superchips Dyno Results

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@datastar.net)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 13:48:10 EDT

Bob Mankin wrote:

>The Megasquirt thing is more appropriate for taking older vehicles and
>bringing them current with the addition of fuel injection, much like the
>FAST and Accel DFI were originally intended to do. None of those are really
>appropriate for addition to a current OBD-II truck because 1)it will spit
>codes like no tomorrow or 2)You will have to completely remove the PCM from
>the equation and then you lose the diagnositic abilites of OBD-II, which is
>a desirable feature. FAST and DFI both make attempts, with varying success,
>at providing pass through codes, but then you're back to what controls the
>tranny and if you want to play with torque converter lockup or shift point
>stuff you're back to reflashing the PCM. If you're going to flash the PCM,
>why not just address it all at one time and not have to cut a single wire.
>
>The DIY thing is cool and something I would consider if I were still modding
>my old Gen I Camaros, but it's not really suitable for new vehicles.

I agree with what you are trying to say but not what you said. No, I
would not put it on say a 2001 Dak with few bolt-ons. I would however
put one on say a heavily modded truly street/strip '96 OBD-II Dak. And
I definately would use it for say a 318->360 conversion that sees some
track duty or just about ANY boosted application. As far as your 1)
spitting codes like no tomorrow - thats easy - what people are doing are
just hainging resistors off the factory harness where the injectors WERE
plugged in. Pretty much everything else stays just the same and guess
what? Once tuned correctly - NO CODES! Don't ask me, ask the people
who have done it on Yahoo MS group. (I'll be joining them real soon)
and 2) You most certaintly wouldn't want to completely remove the
factory PCM as it will still be needed to do things like transmission
control, anti-lock brake control, dash panel control, etc. I'm using
both now on my '96 OBD-II setup with everything but the injectors hooked
up to MS. Besides as far as diagnostic capabilities, with the MS - in
addition to what the factory provides, you have even MORE capabilities.
 For example, fuel injector duty cycle which is available on the MS but
NOT the factory PCM. Another example might be oil pressue, or boost
pressure. How about nitrous pressure, bottle temperature, brake fluid
temperature, transmission temperature, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT).
 Now lets say you want to close the loop around one of these new
parameters. Like say running closed-loop with EGT control (for you
boosted guys). FAST and DFI can't even do that. MS can. Since you are
in COMPLETE control - you can have whatever your mind can think up
(provided you can wire it up and code it up).

Step out of the box and let your mind explore the potential given NO
CONSTRAINTS!

Shane