Re: I Broke A F@#%ing Shock Bolt!!

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 01 2003 - 15:43:15 EDT

Hey, Olznut

<snip> Yup, it happened to me, the lower right shock bolt snapped inside the
housing. Any tips/tricks to get this thing out??<snip>

   Oh, boy...been there...(4X!!)
   IF an E-Z Out doesn't work, you'll need at least a 3/8" (.375") dia.
drill for the minor thread diameter. Actually, the drill/ream size is .377"
+ .003". If you do ream, leave at least .015" (.0075" per side) after
drilling. Anything more than
that & you'll trash your reamer. I'd suggest step drilling (1/4, 5/16, 3/8)
to get everything out but the threads.
  Sometimes a left-handed drill bit (if you can find one!) will "bite" &
back a
broken bolt out. Soak everything with WD-40 or some other penetrating oil
first. Keep the WD-40 on hand
and spray while you drill to dissipate the heat & save your drill bits (and
reamer).
   The actual thread designation is an M12 X 1.75. So you'll need a tap to
clean the threads after you're done with the drilling/reaming.
   If you bugger the threads, you'll need an M12 X 1.75 helicoil kit with a
drill, screw thread inserts, an
insertion tool & a tang break-off tool. Probably $50...
   It's not easy to get at the boss that has the threads in it. I used a
flat bar to push up & support the shock for clearance.
   I don't think I'd try to heat the boss with a torch - too much rubber
around - PLUS brake fluid in the nearby brakeline is highly flammable...
   When I installed the helicoil insert, I secured everything with
Thread-Loc 245 from Auto-Zone.
HTH,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY