RE: Ebay Chrome Headers

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 09:37:29 EDT

After a scan though the first1000 feedbacks to get a sense of where the
complaints lie, here's what stands out. These people sell mostly to ricers.
The ricers aren't complaining about fit or finish. Mopar enthusiasts and
some others are complaining.

A look at the ssautochome website http://www.ssautochrome.com
furnishes more clues. They appear to be a remarketer or distributor of
pacific rim, particularly Korean parts. Although headers and other parts are
stocked for American trucks, a lot of these parts are for Japanese cars. My
guess is that these parts spend weeks in a shipping container getting from
Korea to the U. S. Any chrome finish may be poorly and thinly applied and
the pieces may be covered by surface rust by the time they are sent to
customers.
>From the pictures on the website and on ebay, I can't tell how well the
plating is applied.
The first post on this subject, from Matt Tharp, indicated that the flanges
are flame cut not punched. This is typical of "low tech" metal fabrication
in third world countries. There is no need to invest in any punch presses,
mills, or lathes. All you need is cutting torches, welders, and tubing
benders, and the labor works for pennies. Thousands of small shops crank out
metal products this way.
The website lists parts for Mopar as well as most other American vehicles.
In addition to the caustic ridicule to ANYONE with negative feedback, they
particularly ridicule Mopar owners. Hypocritical?
 I'm curious about how they would handle complaints from someone who ordered
directly from their website and not through ebay.

They say they're in the "heart of North Carolina". OBX in the name suggests
they may be near the Outer Banks. Or possibly that is to disguise where they
really are.
The jigs used to fabricate the headers, as well as other components may not
be accurate. Tube placement, hole placement, welding quality, and plating
appear to be poorly done from the descriptions. A lot of the complaints deal
with what parts will fit which engines. If you don't care how closely the
parts line up, they can claim their products fit EVERYTHING.
If I wanted headers or any other product they supply and cost was the ONLY
consideration, not whether they need rewelding, grinding, plating, painting
or even if they fit at all, then I might consider their stuff, or maybe not!