re:wow, long time off here...( helper springs )

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 05:59:57 EDT

<snip>Try Hellwig helper springs on the rear. I accidently loaded 3000
lbs of
<gravel in the bed once and they held up pretty good. Those along with the
<factory heavy duty springs make it pretty stiff

I was wondering if the Hellwig helper springs can be used in conjunction
with the Roadmaster Active Suspension kit I already have installed on my
truck. Looking at how they are installed, I doubt it as the RAS must be
mounted on top of the spring pack like the Hellwig kit. I really like my
RAS but there is no way I'd want to load it up to 3,000 lbs, even
accidentally. Just last weekend I brought home a load of gravel for a fence
I'm building and I asked the supply house for 1/4 ton. The skid loader
driver told me the scoop holds a ton so I was supposed to get 1/4 scoop. I
loaded the gravel mostly by hand since I didn't want my truck banged up and
when the skid driver brought the scoop to me, it was between 2/3 and 3/4
full. My Dak took it all but she was dragging her tail a bit. later that
afternoon, I went to get my first load of lumber and concrete mix I needed
for the fence posts. The guys at Lowes were kind enough to load it for me.
I had 11ea 80 lb bags of Sakrete, 5ea 4x4x12's, 2ea, 4x4x8's, and some
other misc items. The Lowes folks told me I had over 1/2 ton in my truck
and it wasn't riding as low as it was with the gravel in the bed. Overall,
I like the Roadmaster and I believe it really helps the handling as well as
some increased load capacity. For the occasional heavy loads I carry, its
fine for me. For a more regular, heavy load requirement, I think the
Hellwig might be a better solution for you.

HTH,

Ray Irons
Dover, DE