Re: Battery Relocate

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 09:06:49 EDT

At 05:27 PM 6/5/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Did you figure a place to put the battery?
>There's a large empty pocket between the frame and the body under the bed
>in the forward right side. I could rig something and hang the battery
>upside down
>(Optima) from there. Having only sheet metal above and on one side of the
>battery
>makes me nervious though. Jay W
>
>Kyle Vanditmars wrote:
>>Anyway, what are my options for locations? Anyone have any experience or
>>have some resources on the subject? The truck's a '92, RC, V6, auto, 4x2.

Although I have a Gen III, I have my battery relocated under the bed where
the spare
is normally located. I chose this location because I have a "lock-type"
bed lid and
carry my tire(s) in the bed anyway and because I did not want to put a hole in
the bed to bring the cables in/out nor have something permanently located
in the
bed.

As for the battery being exposed underneath, Moroso and Taylor sells a
NHRA/IHRA
approved, enclosed box to protect the battery from the elements. Both kits
include tray
and bolts to fully secure the battery in the upside-down position. I'm
using the Taylor
box with a red top Optima. Because I drag race at the track, I have a
cut-off switch
in my hookup but it is not necessary if not drag racing.

If anyone would like some photos and description of my hookup, drop me a
line and
I'll send them to you. I'm sure that it can be easily adapted to suit any
Dak model.

Jon Steiger. If you're listening, maybe I should send the photos/descrips
to you
so you can put them up on the DML site if I run into a big demand for
them. I don't
don't pay for speed cable/satellite since it doesn't seem to improve my ETs :-)

HTH.

Bob Tom Ontario, Canada
97 Dakota CC Sport, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 4.56 SG, 4,080 lb (truck, driver, 3/8
tank)
Track PB: ET 14.30 sec. Trap speed 97.36 mph