Re: Honda commercial...THE BEST EVER!

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 09:56:17 EDT

Well, isn't that the point, if they were going to CGI it, why bother? The coolness comes from the fact that they did it (unless you are a skeptic...)

>>> ghedlin@theramp.net 06/05/03 05:43PM >>>

Umm... 6 million dollars for that?? I have to admit it is a cool
commercial, but with the advancements in computer animation, they could have
done it a lot cheaper and quicker!!

Gary Hedlin
President
Hedlin Web Designs
http://www.hedlin.net
""Tim Althoff"" <talthoff@yllwdkta.com> wrote in message

> OK first of let me say i am sorry I am bringing up the "H" word up and
talking good about it. I do have to say they mad a killer commerical for
the UK. It takes an entire 2 minutes to show but worth it.

> here is the email i got...
> New Honda commercial in the UK. The film took 606 takes. On the first 605
takes, something, usually very minor, didn't work. They would then have to
set the whole thing up again. The crew spent weeks shooting night and day.
By the time it was over, they were ready to change professions. The film
cost six million dollars and took three months to complete including a full
engineering the sequence. In addition, it's two minutes long so every time
Honda airs the film on British television, they're shelling out enough dough
to keep any one of us in clover for a lifetime. However, it is fast becoming
the most downloaded advertisement in Internet history. Honda executives
figure the ad will soon pay for itself simply in "free" viewings (Honda
isn't paying a dime to have you watch this commercial!).

> When the ad was pitched to senior executives, they signed off on it
immediately without any hesitation -- including the costs. There are six and
only six hand-made Accords in the world. To the horror of Honda engineers,
the filmmakers disassembled two of them to make the film. Everything you
see in the film (aside from the walls, floor, ramp, and complete Honda
Accord) are parts from those two cars. The voiceover is Garrison Keillor.
When the ad was shown to Honda executives, they liked it and commented on
how amazing computer graphics have gotten. They fell off their chairs when
they found out it was for real. Oh. And about those funky windshield
wipers. On the new Accords, the windshield wipers have water sensors and are
designed to start doing their thing automatically as soon as they become
wet. It looks a bit weird in the commercial.