RE: RE: Re: New truck is in, how do you take radio bezel off, gold key plus?

From: Chris Hogan (chogan@logikos.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 14:20:56 EDT

Actually, you have to start under the dash. Remove the three torx screws holding the bottom dash trim on (it's the piece with the parking brake release lever in it). Disconnect the parking brake release. Pull forward gently. The clips are towards the front of the panel (next to the steering column).

Next, remove the two Phillips screws holding the top of the Instrument Panel (IP) to the dash...these are in two indentations to the left and right of the steering column, above the gauges.

This step isn't necessary, but it makes the job much easier. Remove the top portion of the steering column cover. Remove two torx screws from the bottom & it snaps off. There's a rubber gasket thing on the IP trim that's pretty difficult to get over this cover...this also makes it less likely to break the IP trim.

Starting at the left bottom, gently pop the IP trim off of the dash. You should be able to get the whole thing popped off, then contort yourself so that you can remove the connectors on the back side. Most of them are just the pinch and release kind, but the headlight one requires that you move a red locking tab before you press and release. My truck has 5 connectors that have to be removed.

At this point, the radio is fully exposed. Mine has 4 screws holding it in place.

My truck is a 2003, so should be very similar to yours.

Chris