update on steering noise

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 19:40:27 EDT

In addition to the squeak I was hearing, I also have a
rattling/dragging/scraping sound (sounds very plastic-like)... I've
been trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, and today I
had a thought. It seems like it could be the steering wheel lock.

I only hear the sound when the wheel is turned to the right (doesn't
matter how much). The noise is very similar to the sound that comes
from the steering column when the wheel reaches the end of the
restricted area for the lock (If that makes any sense to anyone but
me)...

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's any easy/possible way to just remove
the mechanism for the steering wheel lock. I'm sure that the dealer's
solution to this problem would be to install a new steering column,
which I don't want to pay for...

-Bill