Re: Re: Re: satisfaction : )

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 22:10:25 EDT

Hey, Punch!

<snip> the front is very simple, now the rears I won't even touch those
sucker's<snip>

The backs aren't that bad...It was the first mechanical repair I ever did on
my first ride, a 61 Corvair ($80!).
The trick is to support the entire rear end & take both drums off.
Disassemble ONE side & use the other as a mirror image for reassembly...the
only special tool is the
spring removal tool, & a flathead screwdriver will work just fine...although
without it you need visegrips to reattach the spring...
Adjust the shoes until the drum barely slides on - without major effort.
Then mount the wheel/tire and spin it.
Adjust the "star"until you can hear the brake shoes start to rub. Then find
a parking lot & go like Hell in reverse & slam the stop pedal. One time.
Should be REALLY close to accurate adjustment.
God I'm old....*sigh*

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
(half a century +)
Averill Park, NY