Re: Sway Bars?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 11:45:16 EDT

<Tubamirbls@aol.com> wrote in message news:1ed.ad9e577.2c19f585@aol.com...
     I upgraded the F&R bars on my 2k Dakota to Hotchkiss back when the
truck
> was quite new. The front bar is a few mm shy of 1.5" and the rear is
about
> 7/8ths. inch. The front is really excellent which together with the poly
> bushings made a substantial improvement in handling. The rear at that
thickness
> and again poly bushings is on the stiff and unforgiving side. If you have
> either a trailer being pulled or some cargo load, maybe 1,000#, then the
rear
> behaves fine and really helps control "tail-wag." With no cargo load or
trailer
> however, it tends to insist upon ironing out all irregular road surfaces
in a
> jolting sort of way. I would think a 3/4" rear bar out to be ideal.
>
> Paul Sahlin

I've got a quickor rear sway bar on my truck, it's 1" diameter and they
claim that it's the stiffest rear bar available for the dakota... Really
helps the truck hold the road, it's almost impossible to drift it, but
you're right about the ride quality though Paul, it did make a very big
difference in ride harshness. I've actually taken the endlinks off of it
and ziptied it up for the autoX season right now so that I can practice my
drifting, but I'll probably put the links back on if any tough competition
shows up on race day.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L