Extended Warranty Pays Off - Which clutch should I put in?(longish)

From: Robert Schultz (robert_schultz@remove.canada.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 21:36:56 EDT

I must say that I'm damned glad I paid a bunch of money for the extended
warranty. I ponied up for the 5yr/160,000km before they offered it for
nothing.

The story goes like this:
I had contractors working on the house the other day and backed the truck
off the driveway, on to the lawn to get it out of their way. Well with all
the rain we've been having that wasn't the best idea I've ever had. Looked
fine when I left it but about four hours later the rear tires had sunk about
six inches. That plus a little uphill was just too much for one spinning
rear tire to deal with. WTF? This thing had posi. Got back in, tried again
and sure enough only one side of the truck gets platered with mud.

Went and rousted the mason who pulled me back on th driveway. Oh well I can
handle that even though it was a Powerstoke.

Called the dealer and dropped it off. An hour later they tell me the posi
was terminal. They replaced all the bearings, springs, etc. Told me their
warranty cost was $1500CDN, and probably would have been a $1900 repair at
retail. For that price I would have lived without it. Thank you extended
warranty.

However, that wasn't all. The Service Rep said that there was a lot of noise
fron the tranny. I launched into my stock explanation that I knew that the
Hurst was noisy and he cut me off. Apparently the tech thinks I'm missing a
few teeth in the tranny and has already ordered a replacement. No rebuild,
just swap in a new unit. I've been griping about the tranny since I got the
truck three years ago. Hated it. I always though there was a problem with
it. Now I'll get to find out.

Since they are pulling the tranny and the truck has 100,000km (60,000miles)
on it, they told me they'd swap the clutch for the price of parts if I
wanted to. I don't think it's shot, but it could save a heap of money later.
Rep told me that the factory clutch and disc would run about $700. He said
aftermarket would be $85 for the clutch and maybe a little more for the
disc. That sound right to anyone? I figure if I'm getting free labour for
the swap I can afford an upgrade. Any recommendations on a brand for
replacment? centerforce etc?

It's an '00 QC 4.7l 5spd.

Rob S.