Re: begining welder

From: Kevin Sellstrom (ksellstr@softcom.net)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 11:03:09 EDT

At 01:42 AM 6/19/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I would like to get myself a little welder, for some projects, nothing too
>big but I don't want to buy something, get into it, and wish I had got
>something
>that could do more.

Lincoln and Miller are the best! Hobart's commercial equipment is good,
but I'm not sure about their small rigs. STAY AWAY from anything made by
Century (which includes Snap-On's older rigs for sure, many at Harbor
Freight, and many other cheap store-brands). They make a lot of re-named
stuff for small companies and are not good machines...I've been there with
a Snap-On version and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

If you want an old-fashioned "stick" arc welder, make sure it runs DC, an
AC-only buzz box will get old quickly.

If you want a wire-feed, which is easier to use for a beginner and a little
more flexible with smaller projects, make sure it has BOTH voltage and
wire-feed controls. Lincolns are smaller and more portable (why I use
them) while the Miller's are full-size rigs and can handle 30# spools of wire.

I have a 220V Lincoln wire-feed from Home Depot and have been very happy
with it (for $150 less than the pro version). The 110 version works fine
too but it's not as smooth or powerful.

A 220 volt feed is always better than 110 IF you've got 220 service (ya can
always unplug the electric dryer for this if you like).

Hope this helps, ask if you need any more info.

Just my $.02 as a certified welder.

Kevin

Kevin Sellstrom, W6KTB E-Mail:ksellstr@softcom.net
             ***Wilton, California***

'99 Dodge Dakota CC, 4x4, 5.2,
'69 Dodge D200, 4x2, 318,

Also: '83 Volvo 244Ti, '85 Volvo 244, '68 Volvo 122S, '98 Specialized
Rockhopper A1FS