Re: Brake Fluid Color

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 12:20:11 EDT

Hi Bill
     I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe after you get another 60-80k mi on
your truck you might think about it. On the periodic flyers my dealer sends out
there is almost always a "special" on purging the hydraulic brake fluid. The
price it seems is around $150 of which a pittance is the new fluid, the rest
is an environmental fee to dispose of the old fluid and of course labor.
You'll notice the factory does not bring this issue up on anything having to do
with warranty or even on recommended periodic maintenance. I see it as
dealer-generated to help keep the service dept full.
     Your brake fluid is obviously part of a sealed system. For foreign
matter to enter to the degree that all the fluid has a marked change in color
should be a clue of something defective. If this be the case, then examination of
the plumbing starting at the master cylinder then all the lines and finally
at each wheel should indicate by the telltale stain of fluid loss somewhere in
all this where the foreign matter is getting in and your fluid going out. If
you've not had to keep adding fluid recently, then don't waste time looking.
     If you're a "hard driver" in style, your braking will generate more heat
than a less aggressive driver. Heat is concentrated at each wheel cylinder
and might have some effect back up thru the fluid to tint the color. If you're
worried, ask your dealer's opinion.

Paul Sahlin