Re: Downey LTD tonneau cover installed

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 22:38:46 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> On the recommendation of Andy Levy, I purchased it for $315 shipped
> from BME Covers (http://www.bmecovers.com). It was a bit disconcerting
> as the order sort've "dissapeared" after I placed it (i.e. no
> confirmation e-mail, etc.) but an e-mail to BME covers confirmed that
> it was on its way and the cover arrived about a week after I had placed
> the order.

See? I *told* you to call!

> The install was super easy. I went real slow and it took me
> 20-30 mins. Now that I know what's what, I figure I could install
> one in 5-10 minutes. The only part that was a bit of a pain was
> snapping the tonneau onto the frame. It was TIGHT even though I
> was doing it on an 80 degree day in full sun. That might be my
> only complaint with the cover - come winter time, it is going to
> be a bear if I have to try to snap it back on - they really could
> stand to make it an eighth to a quarter inch longer and wider,
> especially considering they include spacers to expand the frame
> in case the cover is too loose!

Spacers? I got no spacers. I'm a little surprised that you had that
much trouble getting the cover on. Next time, pour some hot water over
it - it'll be much easier to stretch. But just having it on now and
getting stretched will help too. As for removing in winter - A) you
have HOW many vehicles, and you're going to choose the convertible? B)
this is why it lifts - so you don't ahve to rake it off!

> The latch was a bit too loose for
> my liking, but the adjustment built into the cover took care of
> most of that, and a little bending of the latch bars by hand took
> out the rest of the slack, so it is pretty good now.

You had to bend the latch bars? Wow, I was able to get mine pretty
solid just with the provided adjustments. We'll have to look at it at
the BBQ.

> A pleasant surprise was that thanks to the design of the Downey
> which hinges back from the cab slightly, I can open the tonneau
> fully with the convertible top down!

Great to hear that the hinge was far enough back! I was a little
nervous about that. How far from the front rail to the hinge pin is it?
  I imagine it's more than on mine since the cover itself is longer.

> Although I spent more than I would have liked, so far
> I am very happy with this cover. It will provide me with the
> flexibility to carry any large items I might need to, while
> allowing me to use it as a hinged tonneau the other 99% of the time.
> Although no soft tonneau is secure, it will keep any items that
> might be in the bed out of sight and out of mind, and should help
> out in the fuel economy department too.

Glad you like it! This is my second Downey and I've been very happy
with both of them. I keep all kinds of stuff in my bed and have never
had it disturbed. You've got it - if it's not visible, people won't go
for it. There was definitely an improvement on my '99 in the
driveability & mileage departments when I put my tonneau on - didn't
have the '03 long enough without it to get a real good idea of the
improvement there.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@yahoo.com -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------